Over the past 20 years there have been significant changes in the tertiary education sector as it relates to supporting students with disability.
Below is an infographic representing some of the key milestones for ADCET over the past 20 years. In addition, we have included some key milestones and changes to the tertiary education and disability sectors.
20 Milestones for 20 years with ADCET
Below is a list of the key ADCET and disability/education sector milestones represented in the infographic with links to further information on the ADCET website.
- 2002 - The University of Tasmania receives funding for ADCET
- 2003 - Disability Coordination Officers (now NDCO program) introduced to compliment the Regional Disability Liaison Officers
- 2003 - ADCET launches Creating Accessible Teaching and Support (CATS) (now ADCET's 'Inclusive Teaching' pages)
- 2005 - Disability Standards for Education launched for the disability/education sector
- 2005 - ADCET launches revised Open All Options (OAO) resource
- 2006 - AVCC (now Universities Australia) releases Guidelines for Students with a Disability in Higher Education for the Higher Education sector
- 2007 - ADCET is funded under the Federal Government Higher Education Disability Support Program
- 2008 - Australia ratifies UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability (UNCRPD)
- 2011 - The first Australian National Disability Strategy 2010 - 2020 released
- 2013 - National Disability Insurance Act and the National Disability Insurance Agency introduced
- 2015 - ADCET/NDCO Autism Transition Guide for students released
- 2015 - ADCET hosts its first webinar
- 2018 - ADCET/NDCO NDIS and Further Education Pre-planning Toolkit released
- 2019 - The Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability commences
- 2020 - ADCET's first podcast is aired
- 2021 - ADCET releases COVID guidelines for return to campus
- 2021 - ADCET releases Guidelines for online access for Blind/Vision Impaired and Deaf/Hard of Hearing students
- 2021 - ADCET's releases eLearning for VET Staff and Educators Supporting Students with Disability
- 2021 - ADCET appoints National Assistive Technology Officer
- 2021 - ADCET wins Australian Access Award for Education Website of the Year
- 2022 - ADCET releases Accessible ICT procurement in Higher Education Guide
ADCET - a 'short' history
Find out more about how ADCET came to be and the many 'faces' of ADCET on our history of ADCET page.