Disability Practitioners are known variously as Disability Liaison Officer, Disability Advisor, Access Officer, Integration Coordinator, Teacher Consultant or Disability Officer.
Disability Practitioners have complex roles and this can include performing a range of functions to support students or staff with disability and contribute to disability inclusion. Although position descriptions vary, primary functions are likely to include:
- assisting students to identify the implications of their disability for study and assessment
- documenting adjustments and services required in the form of a Learning Access Plan (or similar)
- providing information to students and staff about available support services, assistive technology, learning strategies accommodations or adjustments
- managing interpreting and notetaking services
- providing disability education, training and awareness for staff
- assisting teaching and support staff to problem-solve issues
- assisting the institution in the development and implementation of action plans, policies and procedures to ensure disability services are main-streamed
- assisting in balancing the rights of individual students and the interests of the institution.
In this section, we cover a range of key topics including:
- primary functions and breadth of your role
- legislation and standards
- reasonable adjustments
- student access and support
- course design and implementation
- professional development
- data and evaluation
- and more.
Disability Practitioners can subscribe to the AustEd email list. AustEd is an initiative of the Australian Tertiary Education Network on Disability (ATEND) and is a closed list, its aim is to facilitate discussion and information-sharing among disability practitioners and teachers within the post-secondary education sector. Discussions focus on inclusive teaching, learning and support for people with disability in this sector. For more information, including how to subscribe, go to austed-list online form - this is also where subscribed members need to go to to access archived emails,