View Dyslexie font  |  View high contrast
Subscribe to the ADCET newsletter

State-based Admission Centres

All universities in New South Wales, Victoria, the ACT, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory use centralised admissions centres to manage their application processes. The University of Tasmania (the only university in Tasmania) individually manages their own admissions processes.


  • some state-based admissions centres manage university admissions as well as some TAFE and VET providers
  • some universities have direct application options for some courses

So, check how your preferred education provider accepts applications.


The Universities Admission Centre (UAC) administers all application enquiries and information on university entry for undergraduate and postgraduate course offerings in NSW and the ACT, for both domestic Australian and international students.

UAC has a special entry access scheme, a school recommendation scheme and information on scholarships.

    South Australia and Northern Territory


      Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) takes applications for the majority of undergraduate courses at Queensland universities, Medicine at Bond University, and the Australian Maritime College in Tasmania, as well as some courses at universities in northern NSW, TAFE Queensland and some private providers of post-secondary courses.

      The Educational Access Scheme (EAS) is available to applicants whose recent study has been impacted by financial or personal challenges.

      Alternative pathway entry into Queensland universities includes completion of the STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test). You can also include a Personal Competencies Assessment (PCA) statement and/or an Employment Experience document substantiated by your employer, which together with your STAT results may advantage your application. Note that you will still be required to satisfy minimum entry requirements such as subject prerequisites set by the relevant provider.

      QTAC also runs the National Rural and Regional Enterprise Scholarships Scheme. So regardless of what state you live in you can apply through QTAC. For more information visit the QTAC RRES page This link takes you away from the ADCET page 


        The University of Tasmania is responsible for all its own admissions and enrolments.

        All applicants must meet the General Entry Requirement (GER) along with any course-specific prerequisites. This includes school leavers and students wishing to enter university via an alternative pathway such as submission of STAT, a personal competency statement, aptitude test or a university enabling program.

        As with other universities, some courses are highly competitive. Applicants may have to sit an interview, audition or produce a portfolio (i.e. for visual and performing arts courses) or meet other other prerequisites.

        For more information on admissions and course information, go to:


          The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) administers the application processes for places in tertiary courses, university, TAFE and independent tertiary colleges in Victoria (and a few outside Victoria).

          VTAC has a special entry access scheme This link takes you away from the ADCET pageand information on scholarships.

            Western Australia

            The Tertiary Information Services Centre (TISC) is responsible for tertiary admissions for all Western Australian universities. There are four participating universities.

            School leavers compete for places through a ‘Marks Adjustment Process’ to allow greater levels of equity.

            Alternative entry pathways consist of a foundation program and the STAT. Participating universities set their own admission requirements.