Sharni Burstin from Skills for Australia discusses, The Inclusion of People with Disability in VET Project and covers the following: 1. Project inception and background; 2. Industry consultation process and findings; 3. Developed and endorsed training products; 4. Introduction of training products; and, 5. Broader implications and initiatives needed. (June 2019)
This is a guide which provides a simple summary of the copyright law governing access to material for people with a disability in Australia. It also includes a checklist of their major requirements and some practical advice for applying them.
It is intended for use by disability organisations, libraries, archives, museums, galleries, schools, TAFEs, universities and similar institutions.
Dagmar Kminiak and Terri Mears from the University of Sydney discussed the broad principles of Universal Design in assessment as covered in literature and the importance of incorporating multiple means of representation, action, expression and engagement within assessments.
The presentation provided a brief overview of the practical steps that have been taken at The University of Sydney to begin the transformation of assessment planning to ensure that Universal Design principles are incorporated in the process. (May 2019)
This research report by the Centre for Inclusive Design in partnership with Adobe and Microsoft has showed that the Australian education, retail and financial services sectors can benefit from implementing an inclusive approach in the design process. Within education, inclusive design can translate into an additional 228,000 tertiary qualifications earned in Australia which in turn can increase employment and salaries by $4.5 billion annually. (May 2019)
Sharon Kerr, Leader Education and Training with the Centre for Disability Studies was the presenter.
If you have questions about how your institution can better support the access needs and engagement of Indigenous students with a disability, this webinar is for you. During this webinar Sharon will share findings of her recent research. (May 2019)
Fiona Thomas from Texthelp focussed on how EquatIO can provide students and staff a truly digital maths alternative. EquatIO supports the creating and consuming of complex maths by providing alternative input methods for all. (May 2019)
In the US, despite facing many of the same barriers, stereotypes and blatant discrimination that wheelchair-using doctors encounter, a growing army of nurses on wheels is fighting the system and advocating for changes that will benefit everyone, with and without disability. (Original source: New Mobility Magazine. written by Tim Gilmer. April 2019)
This is a series of short, interactive online training resources for university staff which are designed to increase awareness of Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) in Higher Education.
The training resources: give staff an overview of each SpLD and the ways each of them overlap and co-occur; outline some of the difficulties that students with SpLDs can experience in HE; and, introduce staff to some of the key principles of inclusive curriculum design, curriculum delivery and assessment, and give them practical ideas to use to ensure accessibility.
The online training covers Dyselxia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Dyscalculia and Dysgraphia.
- The Breadth and Depth of Disability-Related Literature: From the Editor
- The Impact of Transition Services in Facilitating College Degree for Students with Visual Impairments: Post-Bachelor’s Degree Perspectives
- A Descriptive Review of ADHD Coaching Research: Implications for College Students
- Investigating the Outcomes and Perceptions of an Inclusive Aquatic Exercise Class for University Students with Physical Disabilities
- Perspectives of North American Postsecondary Students with Learning Disabilities: A Scoping Review
- Applying Salutogenesis to the Experiences of Students with Disabilities in the Netherlands
- An Innovative Postsecondary Education Program for Students with Disabilities in STEM (Practice Brief)
- Student Learning Outcomes for Disability Services: What Evidence do you Have? From the Editor
- Use of Student Learning Outcomes in Postsecondary Disability Offices
- Emerging Adults: Perspectives of College Students with Disabilities
- A Qualitative Investigation of Bullying of Individuals with Disabilities on a College Campus
- Transitional Challenges for Students with Disabilities During a Period of Systemic Imbalance
- Predictors and Trajectories of Educational Functioning in College Students With and Without Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Students with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in Postsecondary Education: From the Editor
- The Use of a Coaching Model to Support the Academic Success and Social Inclusion of Students with Intellectual Disabilities in Community and Technical College Settings
- Exploring Barriers for Facilitating Work Experience Opportunities for Students with Intellectual Disabilities Enrolled in Postsecondary Education Programs
- Inclusive Community Service Among College Students With and Without Intellectual Disability: A Physical Activity in Inclusive Postsecondary Education for Students With Intellectual Disability
- Promoting Employee Handbook Comprehension for Postsecondary Students with Intellectual Disability and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- “Letting Go:” Parent Perspectives on the Outcomes of an Inclusive Postsecondary Education Experience for Students with Developmental Disabilities
- It’s Okay to Teach People with an Intellectual Disability About Their Disability (Practice Brief)
- A Financial Literacy Course for Postsecondary Students with Intellectual Disabilities (Practice Brief)
- A Tribute to the Commitment to Disability Studies Academic Literature: From the Editor
- Development of a First Year Success Seminar for College Students with Disabilities
- Sexual Coercion Experiences Among Canadian University Students with Disabilities
- University Students with Disabilities: Factors that Contribute to Their Self-Predicted Likelihood of Graduation
- Do Multimedia Instructional Designs Enhance Comprehension in College Students with Dyslexia?
- Social Group Membership and Risk-Taking Behaviors Among College Students with ADHD Symptoms
- Disability in Postsecondary STEM Learning Environments: What Faculty Focus Groups Reveal About Definitions and Obstacles to Effective Support
- Promoting Inclusive Teaching Among College Faculty: A Framework for Disability Service Providers (Practice Brief)