Equitable Learning and Disability Support Advisor - Chisholm Institute
This position is accountable for ensuring students with a disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition are actively and positively included in all aspects of Chisholm life and can participate equally with other students by providing direct support to students and primary care givers. This support may be through appointments, class talks, presentations, workshops, resource creation. The role also supports educators to meet the needs of the student body to deliver a proactive and reactive service.
The role is a key and active participant of the Student Support and Engagement team and provides expertise to colleagues across the organisation, students and external support service providers, requiring the astute handling of sensitive, complex and demanding scenarios involving multiple stakeholders.
Your key accountabilities will include but is not limited to:
- Acting as a thought leader and specialist context-relevant problem solver to support delivery departments and improve the student experience;
- Mentoring, coaching, monitoring and supporting team members and staff to apply best practice methods and support to students with a disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition;
- Providing advice and guidance to Chisholm community in relation to any disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition-related query and potential impacts of these on study.
- Identifying the educational support needs of students with a disability, long-term illness and/or mental health condition and liaise with the student, the teaching area and other relevant people or agencies to determine the level of support available and its appropriateness to the educational expectations of the students and the requirements of the course.
- Demonstrating understanding of assistive/adaptive technological aids and adaptive technology for people living with disability as well as other resources such as external disability support agencies, government departments and service organisations.
- Promoting and undertaking awareness raising activities about disability and accessibility within the Chisholm community.
Applications close: 15 June 2021.